Here is a fun way to be patriotic, have fun with the kids, and keep the bugs away at the same time. Depending on your desired look, or the supplies you have on hand, you can choose between rice or sand.
Adding essential oils to you candle holders will help deter insects.
What you’ll need:
- 2 lb. bag of rice or white sand
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
- essential oil of choice: citronella, lemongrass, or Purification
- 3 small bowls
- 2 sheet trays (optional to keep work area clean)
- parchment paper
- 4 small glass votive holders or 2 pint size mason jars
- rubber gloves (optional)
- Evenly distribute rice, or sand, into the three bowls.
- Add blue food coloring to one bowl and red food coloring to another bowl Using a spoon, or hands with rubber gloves, mix until color has been worked through and evenly distributed.
- Add 10 drops essential oil to rice and mix.
- Line sheet trays with parchment paper then pour blue rice/sand onto one sheet tray and red rice/sand onto the second sheet tray. Place in oven at 200 degrees, and warm for an hour to dry the food coloring.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, layer into jars to display a festive red, white and blue look.
- Place tealight on top and you’re ready to display your candle holders for all to see.